RE: So...how do I break into tech writing?

Subject: RE: So...how do I break into tech writing?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
To: 'Randy Smith' <randysmith101 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 11:24:11 -0700

> No paid experience at it, but I would like to get into software
> documentation of some sort...
> I figured I would do
> programming... but...

Given today's job market, you can probably break into either
programming or technical writing relatively easily. And the
two jobs are different enough that you'd do well to think
about where you'd be happiest.

And the secret to breaking into any new career is networking.
Join a professional society. Get to know your potential peers.
Listen a lot, talk a little,... If you can afford it, take on
an internship.

>What I would really like to do is go to Silicon Valley for a
>few years and make a ton of money.

Well, yeah, you could make a ton of money in SV, but you'd also
spend a ton of money to live there. You'll probably do just as
well, maybe better, staying closer to home until you've established
yourself. After a year or two in whatever profession you choose,
re-evaluate moving to SV.

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
-- Douglas Adams
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy