Re: Foreigners (was: How do I break into tech writing)

Subject: Re: Foreigners (was: How do I break into tech writing)
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:35:14 -0700

At 11:53 AM 10/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

There is a reeeeeeal simple reason why America has to import so many foreign
high-tech workers...

Americans are lazy.

Are you an American? :D

I think it's just because too much of America thought computers were just for smelly geeks, so they're completely ignorant. Hah. Who's laughing now? ;)

I swear, every American guy we interview is some lazy "I want everything and I
don't want to have to work for it" type. They want big titles, big money, and
zero responsibility. Unfortunately, too much of American society seems to teach
people - be a lazy, whining, obsessive freak and you'll get ahead.

Well, this works way too much of the time. And, in fact, often if you don't act like this, you won't end up with a job. But that's because most hiring managers are idiots who'll listen to any old blowhard who thinks he's amazing. The quiet good people often get lost.

If you want to break into tech writing - learn some technical skills and write
some documents. Go get an entry level job and work your way up. If you expect
some Senior Executive Master Ultra-Amazing Technical Communication Artist job
on day one, forget it. Just because you can speak English and write a good
sentence does not make you an accomplished technical writer.

I just "broke in" last year.

1) Write something. Anything. If you belong to any club or group, write something for them. Make a church newsletter, or describe how you built little Billy's tree house. Just show that you can write instructions, use a word processor, add illustrations, etc.

2) If there are any *good* tech writing programs around, take some classes. Why would anyone want you if you don't know how to write? This should also provide some writing samples. (If you come out here, let me recommend DeAnza, UCSC-extension, and San Jose state).

3) Make friends who can refer you. ;) Classes can help here, too. Or just knowing people in the area. Let me tell you, getting a job in silicon valley is a million times easier if you have friends here. It's a *small* valley.

4) Intern someplace! Sure, it may be a little embarrassing when you're a thirty-something (forty-something, whatever) intern, but just go do it. Life isn't always easy.

5) Be nice to the foreigners. They might be your new manager. ;) And there's a good change that they write better than you do, too.

-Katie