Merged HTML files for multiple products

Subject: Merged HTML files for multiple products
From: Becky Nowacki <beckyn -at- firstlogic -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:51:26 -0500

I have a project that includes many products and an underlying system that
has its own help file. I'm creating HTML help for Windows in ForeHelp.
There is a method to combine (merge) all HTML help files to have a common
TOC and Index for the whole project. The goal is to display only the
products the user owns in the help file rather than all the products that
are merged into the help file (see example below).

I have learned from ForeHelp that even though all the CHM files are merged
into one master file, if one product's CHM file isn't included in the
installation, the information in that help file will not be displayed in the
TOC or index, which is great when the user doesn't have that product.
Unfortunately, there is no way for ForeHelp to read the products installed
on a server or individual computer. Does anyone know a way (i.e. with
JavaScript or HTML/DHTML/XML, or any other way) to get ForeHelp to read the
products on an individual's computer/server and to display only the contents
of only those help files?

For example, I'll have the underlying Master.chm file where all the
product's help files are built so there is one TOC and Index. This CHM goes
to the customer no matter which products are owned. I'll also have a
ProductA.chm, ProductB.chm, and ProductC.chm. All of these CHMs are built
inside the Master.chm file. The solution I'm looking for is where the user
has ProductA and ProductB and only those CHM files are able to be read by
the customer. I've found that if the ProductC.chm isn't shipped with the
software, it won't be read. Is there a way to "read" the products installed
on the customer's computer/sever that will allow only the appropriate CHM
files to be installed?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Becky
beckyn -at- firstlogic -dot- com