Re: looking for online degrees

Subject: Re: looking for online degrees
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "Michael Davidson" <Michael -dot- Davidson -at- vcint -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:34:30 -0500

22, 2000) at 10/11/2000 10:29:39 AM,
Serialize by Router on NTServ10/Richardson/TEKELEC(Release 5.0.5 |September
22, 2000) at 10/11/2000 10:29:56 AM,
Serialize complete at 10/11/2000 10:29:56 AM

Michael,

The problem is that most universities would have a difficult time to try
to determine how your "previous learning and experience" equates to their
courses for credit. If you take an online course from an accredited and
reputable university, they won't be just giving you "a degree for a
fee" -- you'll earn it, even if you don't sit for an exam in any
traditional way.

Online courses haven't quite got it all down yet, largely because it's a
new way of instruction. They have to continually devise ways to use the
new technologies without getting zapped by them at the same time. For
example, it's really tough now to catch students who plagiarize from the
internet, though most experienced instructors have a few tricks up their
sleeves. And yes, they do have to charge a fee. Instructors don't (and
shouldn't have to) work for free.... the maintenance of equipment needed
to conduct online courses and the administration costs are not free,
either. You can expect to pay a fairly comparable rate to that of
classroom instruction.

I think the techwr-l forum and the STC web site have links to various
online courses, as does my own web site (although my site is badly
outdated). You can also do some search engine work. I've found several
good courses lately.

Jane Bergen