Web-based Help without a HAT (cross-posted to HATT)

Subject: Web-based Help without a HAT (cross-posted to HATT)
From: Sue Krol <s -dot- krol -at- xpedite -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:58:55 -0400

I've created my HTML pages in Homesite. We've got context-sensitive links from our Web app to my help pages. I can use HTML Indexer--which seems like a good tool so far--to create a good back-of-the-book-type index.

Does anyone have suggestions for creating and maintaining a TOC? It's currently just a table of links which I'd thought I'd make into a frame that persists while the associated pages display in a frame to its right. Any thoughts at all on building/automating/maintaining a TOC without using a HAT? Anyone know of any Java code that I might use for this purpose? I'm not a programmer, but can get some dev help here if needed to make it work.

Ben Weisner seems to have some workable methods, but I can't wait for his course in Dec. I have to keep in mind our Netscape and IE users, and develop for PC, UNIX and Mac advocates. Our developers say to avoid DHTML. Your suggestions on creating Web-based help without a HAT would be greatly welcomed.

PS
Has anyone used the PC versions of Adobe GoLive or Macromedia Dreamweaver for help system creation/maintenance? To what extent were you satisfied/disappointed with either tool?