RE: Grad School

Subject: RE: Grad School
From: "George Hinman" <techwriter -at- my-deja -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 08:53:19 -0700

IMHO:
Graduate school can be useful in learning some theoretical aspects of technical communication, but offers little in the way of practical training or skills applicable to the job market. I got halfway through a graduate technial communication program before I realized that I was basically earning the degree by using examples from my job as a technical writer for homework and projects for the TC classes! I was informing my instructors how things "worked" in the real world. I am not saying that there weren't some theoretical concepts to be learned from the program, but I found myself often explaining computer concepts, e.g. how to filter email, to the classes and the instructors. I finally decided to save my money and take IT classes at the local community college that really do give me skills I can use directly on the job (and enhance my value to the company. As far as I'm concerned, academia is for academics. If you want a good job, get good practical skills. Academia did help !
me learn to communicate better, but tell a potential employer you're a "good communicator" -- that's taken for granted. She is likely to ask how well you know SQL!!
My 2 cents
techwriter -at- my-deja -dot- com

>> >From: AZUROSE -at- aol -dot- com
>> >Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:01:14 EDT
>> >Subject: Grad School
>> >To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
>> >
>> >I would appreciate some input on the importance (or unimportance) of
>> >graduate-level instruction in the technical writing profession. Does it pay
>> >off? Do graduate programs adequately preparing students to function as
>> >effective technical communicators in the real world?

Before you buy.