Problems displaying .CHM files through Visual Studio 6

Subject: Problems displaying .CHM files through Visual Studio 6
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:58:14 -0400

Folks,

I'm not sure how many of you out there use Visual Studio 6, but if you do,
AND you use it on a Windows 2000 machine, have you ever had a problem
accessing context-sensitive help that's provided in .CHM files?

We are seeing the following on SOME of our Windows 2000 machines:

1. In Visual Studio 6 (in Visual Basic, for example), you press F1 to
display context-senstive help for a control, form, or property (anything
that will open a related .CHM file, such as help on the VS tool you are
using, which would display MSDN, or help for a third-party control, IF that
help file is an HTML Help file, not a WinHelp file).

This first time you request the context-sensitive help, it displays just
fine.

2. You close the help file.

3. You press F1 to display context-sensitive help for something else.

At this point, or at some iteration of these steps (could be the 2nd time,
could be the 7th time), the help file will start to display, but then pause.
The machine will sit for a while, and eventually, Windows will say the
program is not responding. When you respond OK to that message, the
partially displayed help file and Visual Studio close.

Has anyone else seen this problem? If you have, were you able to determine a
reason for it (or a solution!)? We need to find out more, because not only
do we use VS pretty regularly, but our products are used in VS, and we don't
our customers running into this with our help files down the road (once we
start releasing them as .CHM files).

Thanks in advance on any light you all might be able to shed on this!

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.