RE: Portfolie... was Re: Am I experienced?

Subject: RE: Portfolie... was Re: Am I experienced?
From: Tara English-Sweeney <tesweeney -at- novadigm -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:03:50 -0400

Although a large part of my "portfolio" to date consists of computer-based
training (CBT) apps, the issue is still the same. I've created CBTs and
documents that I think need a lot of improvement. However, I couldn't change
certain things because the Powers That Be wanted it that way. I still bring
the samples, then proceed to mention the restraints that surrounded the
project. This often leads to a discussion of what I think could have been
better and why.

Regarding portfolios, I usually bring everything with me, and then present
only those that fit the situation.

On the flip side, when interviewing, it's important to me to see samples and
if possible, have them left with me. That way I can really give them a
thorough review. If there are typos or other similar errors, I am put off.
If it's a well-organized document that helps me see their work, then it
doesn't matter what type of document it is. But, it really comes down to the
total package - my impression of the candidate, how our discussion went,
their samples and how they relate to the position. I've been presented with
documents from a lawyer - and gave her the thumbs up as a technical writer.
She was a great asset to the company. And, I've given the thumbs down to
technical writers whose documentation was ok, but the package wasn't
complete.

I look forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts on this topic.

[Dan Roberts] In addition, I'm wondering how much you "like" the doc that
you include in yr
portfolio/sample? I've written stuff that, because The Powers That Be wanted
the
doc a certain way, I've hated and despised with a passion transcending all
else
(hrm, I think the caffiene is kicking in). While I didn't particularly like
the
final doc, it *was* representative of my 'style' of writing. OTOH, other doc
that I've had no particular emotional attachment to (other than perhaps a
slightly different way of approaching a rather common task), I've included,
simply to show that I can work with that kind of material.

So I'm wondering how folks really use portfolios/samples, what they include,
why
they include them. And on the flip side, what do the folks that do the
interviewing really look for when they ask for portfolios/samples. How much
of a
sample do you want, does presentation affect yr opinion, and how does the
type
of sample affect yr judgement?