portfolios vs. writing samples

Subject: portfolios vs. writing samples
From: Erin Christine McLaughlin <erincmcl -at- UDel -dot- Edu>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:04:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this thread and finding it very useful, as I am a
university student (English major, Business & Technical Writing
concentration) due to graduate in May. I'm doing an internship next
semester as a requirement for graduation (not to mention for the
much-welcomed experience!) and in preparation, I am currently assembling a
portfolio. Obviously, since I haven't yet had a technical writing job, I
don't have much to put in my portfolio, but the professor in charge of the
internship program requires that we include samples of our work from
technical writing classes.

My question to all of you is about the difference between a portfolio and
what you're calling writing samples. Is the difference simply that
writing samples are copies of your work that you're actually giving to the
interviewer, whereas your bound portfolio is what they just glance through
during the interview, or is there more to it?

Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Erin