Reading Humor - makes angry

Subject: Reading Humor - makes angry
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <bernd -dot- hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:18:09 +0200

Hi,

last weekend I had bad experiences with humor in technical writing. I
bought a new Agfa scanner (1236s) with a new scanwise driver, and it has a
very humoresque picture each time, it starts. The scanner itself is fast,
but the start time is very long. It waits and waits, before starting.

Before I had a mustek scanner, it has a simple interface, it is easy to
use, but I gave it my daughter.

Each time, I start the program, it shows me happy people, for a lots of
seconds.
But I had a lot of problems to get the scanner to work. In the end I did
not use the delivered adaptec scsi controller.
In the shop, they wanted to sell me an additional controller, they said my
computer would be working with.
In the end, I used an own controller, and another computer.

I became more and more angry about the picture with the happy people.

When I tried to switch to gray scale, the software crashed. Happy people on
restart.

This problem I could solve by downloading a new driver version from the
Agfa home page.

Happy people again. Why do they do this?
I want to scan pictures, not to see pictures on their software.

Later, there are little animations, but no opportunity to store set up options.
So I have to type in again and again the same number for resolution in dpi.
After selecting another device for output, it is lost.

So I ask: do they laugh and dance because of me?

I would recommend, never to use such pictures.

What do you think about happy people pictures on software surfaces?
Is the software surface a technical writer issue?

Best regards
Bernd

Bernd Hutschenreuther / Technical Writer
net-linx Europe GmbH Dresden / mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- prepress -dot- de
Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer 76 / tel: (+49) 351-31875-732
01309 Dresden, Germany / fax: (+49) 351-31875-550
Home: +49-351-8483427 ;-) mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- sz-online -dot- de