RE: simply (was: Reading Humor - makes angry)

Subject: RE: simply (was: Reading Humor - makes angry)
From: Sharon Deitch <sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:14:18 +0200

Kathleen tends to << remind the talented folks in our Marketing group not to
tell our users to "simply" do anything in the Help. If it were simple to do
in the first place, I wouldn't be asking for help. I am constantly weeding
this kind of false cheeriness from help and troubleshooting content I
receive from them.>>

I confess to using "simply" when the procedure is, in fact, simple for the
user to do. I wouldn't use it in a troubleshooting guide, or even a
tutorial. But in a reference manual, or somewhere else where I was
describing functionality (as in marketing text), I think it's acceptable.
The message (I hope!) it sends is that the software does the task in
question and requires minimal effort from the user.

Shalom from Jerusalem,
Sharon

Sharon Deitch
Technical Writer