RE: Sample Writing Tests Needed

Subject: RE: Sample Writing Tests Needed
From: Barry Kieffer <bkieffer -at- ims -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:26:28 -0700 (PDT)

The biggest problem I would have to testing is the time it takes.

One of the posts today had some stat of a writing test requiring 3 to 5 pages.
If we follow the JoAnn Hackos' model of 4-hours per page (or some such, my book
is at home) yikes! It would take all day long.

Are you really gonna let some poor technical writer wanna-be slug sit in your
office for a day writing up a treatise on a stapler? Phoo!

Some tech writer interviewer's must have a lot of time on their hands.

I interviewed a bunch of technical writers one time, and Bob knows, if I had
each write something 2 or more pages long, I would go out of my creepy mind.

Let's see: Interview, write 3 pages for test, pee in a cup, submit blood sample,
submit to a credit check, hand over photos of your cats, have a retina scan,
finger prints...