Re: The OTHER Test

Subject: Re: The OTHER Test
From: puff -at- guild -dot- net
To: ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 100 03:59:21 -0400 (EDT)

Folks,

Hopefully the drug-testing thread will die quietly now (I have my
own opinions on the topic, but this isn't the place to debate them), but
I'm going to yank it back on-topic:

> > From: Marilyn_Baldwin -at- capgroup -dot- com
> > Subject: Re: The OTHER Test
>
> > Illegal drug use shows a willingness to flaunt the law (and, please,
> > let's don't go totally OT about THAT issue - my position is that it's
> > incumbent upon citizens who disagree with the law to work to change
> > it).
>
> So then, do you drive 55 (or 65)? Do you work actively to increase the speed
> limit on your local freeways? Are you "flaunting the law"? By this
> definition, police officers themselves, along with a vast majority of the
> population, "flaunt the law" (at least in my area).

Argh... that's *flout* the law. To *flaunt* the law you'd have
to print it out on cloth and make some sort of flashy, visually
impressive clothing from it, and wear it :-).

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=flaunt&db=*

And while I'm at it, two things can either jibe or not, but it
takes people to jive.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- guild -dot- net