Re: New terms for the TW industry

Subject: Re: New terms for the TW industry
From: jarnopol -at- Interaccess -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 06:57:26 -0500

EXT-Hornoi-Centerwall, Theodore wrote:

Fellow TECHWR-Lers,
Here are two new terms that are being used to describe the industry we technical writers work in:
Information Design Services
Emergent Technology
I had thought of myself as working in IT in a support role. It's kind of nice to have a special designation for our industry.
These sentiments are my personal views, of course. If anyone has any thoughts on this, feel free to share.

I recently worked for a consulting firm that changed the name Technical Writing group to Information Design Services. They also placed people with 4th generation programming language skills, as well as some, but not all web developers into the Emerging Technologies group. Further, the entire spectrum of "consulting" suddenly became "human capital management".

I know it's mostly a marketing/selling thing, all these new buzz words. But it sure felt like de-humanization to me.

jmho,
jarnopol

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.