RE: Sample Writing Tests Needed

Subject: RE: Sample Writing Tests Needed
From: Maggie Secara <MSecara -at- bizbuyer -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:36:32 -0700

I took a writing test once where they sat me in front of the computer and
walked me through a fairly simple part of the application, then asked me to
create a procedure for it. I got the job, then was put to writing
informational releases for regional offices, which required a completely
different style of writing. One day before they'd have had to pay the
agency for me, they let me go because, they said, of my writing style.
Well, duh.

Another time, I was literally given a pen and paper and asked to describe
how to start a car and drive to a the grocery store. Ok, but the task was
to describe it to a person who had never driven a car. I decided that was
one complication too many, and had no application to ANYthing I might be
writing for these people. I gave it up about half way through the time.
We were all happier.

In 20+ years of both contracting and "straight" employment, that's about it.
Oh no wait, I tell a lie. My very first writing job was for Black Belt
Magazine, where they gave me a draft article and asked me to write a new
lead for it. Considering I had walked into the office without a single
writing sample, and knew zilch about martial arts, I figured that was fair
:)

Maggie Secara