RE: Screen Capture + Word + PDF = Yuch

Subject: RE: Screen Capture + Word + PDF = Yuch
From: Lynn Perry <LynnP -at- networkcommerce -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:16:04 -0700

David Berg writes:
<snip>
I have a Word document with a number of screen captures. They look fine in
Word, but now that's it's time for product release we've done a PDF, and
many (but not all) of the images are almost unreadable due to
blurriness/corruption/whoknowswhat.
<snip>
And while I'm at it, what software does anyone out there use for putting
graphics into WMF format?
</snip>

Blurry screenshots in PDFs are almost always due to compression settings in
the Acrobat Distiller (the program that actually creates the PDF file). Tell
whomever to check the Distiller options and knock the compression down to
none. If you need compression, you may be able to add some back in after
some testing with various settings.

As for graphics into WMF, PaintShop Pro does a really fine job and is a
great program for all kinds of graphics editing. I use it exclusively for
screen captures and editing as well as for editing bitmaps I save from
Visio. I also use it to sample down the colors of images, which really helps
decrease their size. Depending on your screen captures, you may find that
256 colors is enough (a nice sized graphic), and 16 will even work for some
(an excellently small file).

HTH

C. Lynn Perry --- Senior Technical Writer lynnp -at- networkcommerce -dot- com
Great companies deserve great documentation www.networkcommerce.com
Network Commerce Inc. (NASDAQ: NWKC) 206.652.3139
411 First Avenue South, Suite 200N Seattle, WA 98104