Re: accuracy in packaging

Subject: Re: accuracy in packaging
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:01:30 -0700 (PDT)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net ("Sharon Burton-Hardin") writes:
>OK. I have to share this.
>
>The midst of a nightmare project - 170 hours in 10 days to get the docs
>finished - for a CD writer project. About midnight, after writing for about
>16 hours, I actually wrote the following sentence and the manual shipped
>with it intact - no time for an edit review. The point was that when the CD
>write process started, leave the CD writer alone until it is finished.
>
>"Premature ejection can result in a blown disc."
>
>A personal best.

Good one. My personal favorite was when I was in Israel,
editing a writer who had English as his third language
(after Arabic and French). We were working on documentation
for a pilotless reconnaissance plane for the US Air Force,
were behind schedule, and were working late into the night.

At about 9 pm, I got to the following instruction:
"Tighten nuts on stud until stiff." First I collapsed
laughing, then I showed it to my fellow editor (also an
American) and she collapsed laughing. Then our irate
supervisor, an Israeli colonel overseeing the project,
wanted to know why we were laughing when there was
work to be done and there was no way we were going to
explain why it was funny, Ultimately, I decided for the
sake of bored US Air Force technicians to leave this
perfectly accurate technical description in the book :->

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"The first Halloween prank ever, played by a group of Druid
teenagers, was Stonehenge. (`HEY! You kids get those rocks
OFF my LAWN!')" -- Dave Barry