Re: Word hyperlinks

Subject: Re: Word hyperlinks
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:53:14 -0700

Michele Davis wrote:

> OK, I may be naive, but I thought when creating a document in Word and
> assigning hyperlinks that when I converted my document to .pdf those
> hyperlinks would work. Well, they don't? Am I off my nut to think this
> would work? Is my vision wrong? Or am I doing something wrong?
>
> All mighty Word gurus (I'm a Frame expert, so I'm at a disadvantage)
> please help.

PDFMaker includes are multiple options for what types of links to convert. (It's installed on another computer, not available to me just now, or I'd tell you the exact settings.)

One option handles hyperlinks, another handles cross-references, which Word considers different things. I believe the one you're interested in is called "interdocument links." (I know, it should be "intradocument links" but probably the label wasn't created by a tech writer.)

Anyway, experiment with the conversion options--most of them are pretty clearly labelled, and you *can* do what you're describing. We use this feature in several PDF books.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!