Sample Writing Tests NOT! REPLY

Subject: Sample Writing Tests NOT! REPLY
From: "Johnny Brown" <johnny_brown -at- hotbot -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:23:58 -0700

Connie:

After reading your anger-riddled flame, I'd avoid you like a long wet weekend on a deserted island. I work for some fantastically enlightened managers in both well know corporations and small start-ups that treat their employees like rare diamonds. I'm glad you're not my employer; such anger both puzzles and astounds me.

As for the rest of what you wrote, I won't even dignify it with an answer.

J.

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:21:48 Giordano, Connie wrote:
It must be nice to be as perfect as Johnny and Marilynne. However, there are many, many people interviewing for positions in the same way they got through school-putting on a show without real substance. Portfolios don't always give you the real story-how much of the work did they really do, how long did it take, how many revisions did it need to go through, how many colleagues did they piss off in the process. And five minutes is hardly adequate to figure out whether the red flags you might be getting are really
justified.

My strategy is that if you refuse to take a writing test related to the product you have to document, then you won't fit in. Preen as much as you want about how you're too experienced and too good to take a test. It buys nothing from those of us who use them to test how interested you are in the product you're responsible for, how quickly you can grasp concepts and whether you know how to research. I don't make people write ridiculous pieces about PB&J or tying shoelaces. I don't expect it to be perfect, but it is a GREAT way to weed out people who are too lazy or self-important to figure out what they have to do and then do it.

I'm delighted you're such a great judge of people. Don't bother to send your resume, I'm not looking for the self-important.

MTC

Connie Giordano

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com