In defense of 7 +/-2 steps per procedure

Subject: In defense of 7 +/-2 steps per procedure
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 21:51:41 EDT

Not wanting to contribute to filling that other cup (Caution! Beverage is
hot!), I would like to post in defense of the much-lambasted seven-step
guideline for procedural steps.

First, I have read Miller's original paper, which describes how many items a
person can retain in short-term memory. I believe it more clearly applies to
arcane fields such as telephone number length and the optimum cast size for
television shows. (Seriously 8^) The question is whether users retain steps
in a procedure in short-term memory, or if they simply look at the page
(retaining nothing in memory).

In my personal experience, I find longer procedures more difficult. I wonder
how I know how far into the procedure I am--is it by step number, by position
on the page, or by glancing at all the steps and remembering them in some
gestalt way? When I'm writing a procedure, it's by step number, but as a user
I'm not sure.

The psychological principle of closure definitely comes into play in
completing procedures. Tension rises with each step; a fifty-step procedure
is going to be more difficult to complete without error than a five-step
procedure for this reason alone. I would argue (and would anyone disagree?)
that a fifty-step procedure is on the face of it a lousy UI design.

In fact, adhering to a seven-step rule gives you an opportunity to argue
against long procedures simply because there are more than even steps (or, in
structured documentation methodology, you can't fit it on the page!).

I suggest an experimental approaches to this: Rather than debate whether the
principle applies or not, try it out! Test users on procedures of varying
lengths, and note whether they make more errors on longer procedures and
where the problems start. This is the same technique Miller used, and a tech
comm student well grounded in experimental method could do this quickly
enough. I predict that user errors will grow quickly past ten steps.

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager (Typo? What tpyo?)
Lightbridge, Inc., 67 South Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902 [voice]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong