RE: Burning CDs and Keys

Subject: RE: Burning CDs and Keys
From: "Humbird, Len" <len -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:39:54 -0700

Isn't the root term "burn" a slang for "make", as in "burn a copy"? It
refers to the physical process that places the information on the substrate
layer which, fortunately, is inconsequential. (More precisely, I believe the
writing beam "melts" rather than "burns" the substrate, but the latter
sounds more hip.)

I'm not convinced of the necessity to use "burn", especially in technical
documentation.

Len