Re: Print services recommendations?

Subject: Re: Print services recommendations?
From: Robert Smith <robert -at- smith -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:52:12 -0700

At 04:12 PM 10/23/00 -0400, Geoff Hart wrote:
Offset printing uses a photographic image of the
>document, created either by a film camera or by direct output on film using
>a Linotronic or similar typesetting machine.

Geoff's advice seems right on the money. I'd just add that it often pays to
look for an offset printer who uses DTP (direct-to-plate) technology.

DTP platemaking machines produce printing plates direct from (usually)
PDFs, without the need for film as an intermediate step. Film costs,
especially for a publication with many pages, can be significant.

>"Hart's law of gravitation: Deadlines are the documentation equivalent of
>black holes... <snip>

In the context of Hart's law, it's worth remembering another rule
especially pertinent to printing; that is, you can choose any two of the
following, but not all three:

speed
quality
price

Ask any printer. If you want it cheap and fast, the quality will suck. If
you want good quality and you want it fast, it'll cost a lot... etc.

Robert Smith -- Freelance Writer
www.smith.bc.ca
"Live to ride -- write to live"