Re: Part-time tech writing

Subject: Re: Part-time tech writing
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:30:09 -0700 (PDT)

Irv,

There are plenty of part-time assignment
possibilities. You just have to know where to look for
them. ;)

I don't have all that much free time these days, but I
do occasionally take on small jobs, such as template
construction, tool training, or project
troubleshooting (mostly RoboHelp and WebWorks
Publisher).

I don't do it for the added cash as much as I do it to
help keep my skills sharp. Personally, I like my
nights and weekends, and try to enjoy as many of them
as possible. But the occasional techcomm odd job is
nice every now and then.

--- Irv Cantor <ibclc -at- altavista -dot- com> wrote:
> I have never done full-time technical writing. I've
> been involved in technical support and technical
> project management for many years and have written
> all types of software-related documents. I am
> interested in knowing if it's possible to do tech
> writing part time as a supplement to my income and
> to prepare for tech writing as a
> retirement activity about fifteen years from now.
>
> Are there assignments that can be done part-time
> (evenings and
> weekends) while holding a full time job? What kinds
> of assignments do those tend to be?

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer