horror stories

Subject: horror stories
From: m w <tech_mw -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:06:57 -0700 (PDT)

I worked for an individual who needed to have some
documents edited in RoboHELP and FrameMaker. She
didn't seem to understand the concept that in order to
edit the documents, I would need to have the documents
put on a disk, sent in an e-mail, or transferred to me
in some way. Can't edit the documents unless I have
them.

As the deadline approached, she asked me why the edits
weren't finished. I explained to her again that in
order to make the edits, I would need to have a copy
of the documents. She still did not understand this
for some reason.

The day of the deadline, she called me into her office
and asked why the documents weren't finished. Well,
you guessed it....she hadn't given me the documents,
even though I had asked her over 10 TIMES to please
give them to me.

Upon pointing this out to her, she informed that she
was hiding the documents from me, because she wanted
to get a promotion for completing the project, and she
didn't want me to get the credit.
I was called on to edit a document in FrameMaker;
however, for some reason, every time I turned on the
computer, and Windows started, the system would crash.
Every single time.

When my supervisor approached me and wanted to know
why the document was not finished, I explained to him
that the system would crash every time Windows
started. The one time I did manage to reach the
document, the copy of FrameMaker that I was using had
a virus. He said that he would get my computer fixed.

A couple weeks passed, and my system was never
fixed...hence, no document. My supervisor denied that
the Windows/virus problem ever existed, even though I
had called in over 2 dozen documented help tickets.
Since the document was not finished, I was fired.

Frighteningly enough, this was at Intel.

http://im.yahoo.com/