Re: Process kills the dot.com

Subject: Re: Process kills the dot.com
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:05:17 -0500

Actually, I made no judgement about Andrew's motives. I was simply implying that when the wrong process is used, or a process is used incorrectly, it's the same as when the wrong medicine is taken, or medicine is taken incorrectly... the fact that doing it wrong can screw you up Big Time doesn't mean it should never be used at all. And, like medicine, people who don't know any better can attempt to apply a process instead of fixing the real problem. Processes aren't evil and they aren't inherently good, they're just another tool.

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okvotech.org/cimc

Tracy Boyington wrote:

> What a coincidence... I read an article about somebody who was killed because he took some medicine. It just >goes to show you what a waste of time medicine is. Avoid it at all costs.

Both of you may be right about Andrew's motives (I wouldn't know,
and make no judgements). However, maybe you should consider that
Andrew could have a personal motive AND be right? Granted, he may
over-generalize, but the story does point out the dangers of
over-rigid process. I wouldn't throw out all process on the basis of
the story, but it is a useful cautionary tale.