Re: Process kills the dot.com

Subject: Re: Process kills the dot.com
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:52:56 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Following routine is always easier than being analytical or
> creative. Considering how stressed and over-tired the average
> high-tech worker is, the temptation to follow routine is very
> strong. And you can only spend so many days holding yourself
> together with caffeine before any talents you have start to
> disappear. Add the North American love of over-simplifying beyond
> all reason, and you don't have to be Nostradamus to predict the
> results.

To reinforce with a true life anecdote. I was riding home with an
accountant whose reason for doing thing the was he did them was: "That's
the way we always did it." It was snowing hard and there was about 6" of
snow on the roof of the car. He had the heater turned way up. When I
hinted about it being too hot, he said he kept the heat high because he
liked to drive with his sun roof open and that way he would not get
cold. I obliged him in the only way I could, by opening the sun roof.
(he never let me in his car after that.)

Moral of the story, sometimes you just have to open the roof.

--
Peter

There are few situations in life that cannot be resolved
promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned,
by either suicide, a bag of gold,
or thrusting a despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.
Ernest Bramah (Kai Lung stories)