Re: What's the best software suite, and where to buy it?

Subject: Re: What's the best software suite, and where to buy it?
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:28:42 +1000

Another thing to consider (before buying the latest version of a software product instead of the just-obsolete version) is what your potential clients will be using. A lot of independent techwriters start with small-business clients who may be using old versions of software. Depending on what you're doing for them (whether you're just delivering a finished product, or doing a lot of file sharing), you may well have fewer hassles if you use the same (older) version of the s/w that they're using. If that older s/w is a lot cheaper, then you're doubly ahead.

As an editor, I do a lot of tidying-up of files that will go back to the customer (to mess up again, but that's another story <grin>). Although I can save from one version of Word into an older format, sometimes Things Go Wrong (caps intentional for emphasis); using the same version, there's rarely a problem. (I keep Word 95 and Word 97 on my machine, for the really old stuff.)

If, however, your clients are using the latest version of everything, you'll probably need it too.

Jean

At 12:07 26/10/00 -0500, David Berg wrote:

I hesitate a little to mention this, but if you're *really* tight on money
and decide you need to have MS Office, look into picking up a copy of Office
97.

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.