Re: Are we just secretaries?

Subject: Re: Are we just secretaries?
From: Joanne Grey <j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:29:57 -0700

m w wrote:
> The issue is that she demeaned her because
> she is woman.
>
> Why is this so difficult to understand?

I don't see anywhere in the original statement where gender entered into
it. "Clerk" isn't gender-specific. It may have been a misunderstanding
or a misinterpretation of job function, but it's pretty difficult for me
to understand how it demeaned her because she's a woman. It would likely
have been just as insulting if she were a man. An insult to the
profession, maybe (See, Eric, it IS on topic if you squint), but I
really don't see the gender issue.

original statement:
>>> I actually had a manager rub my figurative nose
>>> in this one day. She screamed at me "You're just
>>> a clerk, I want you to do a clerical job."

m w:
>> Did she actually say that to you? That borders on
>> violation of civil rights. Seriously.

Bill Swallow :
> How is the above a violation of civil rights? If
> your employer thinks you were hited to do "X" and you
> think you were hired to do "Y", it's just a
> misunderstanding.

Joanne Grey j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com
Write Angles www.writeangles.com

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free
is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities. -John E E Dalberg, Lord
Acton