Re: clicking on...in....

Subject: Re: clicking on...in....
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- mail -dot- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:13:13 -0600

I think I've heard that when you want the reader to
choose a button, you use the word "click" instead of
"select". With this in mind, is it appropriate to say
"click on" or "click in"?

Both ways leave the reader in the assumption mode (I assume you know your ass from a hole-in-the-ground). Select is usually better when there are mulitple selections in the form of a list, radio buttons, check-boxes.

Buttons that do something, Ok, Cancel, Melt the Reactor, etc., can often be click.

In both instances the user must know to use the mouse, know which button on the mouse to use (right-click or left-click) and understand that when you say click, you are implying that they are selecting from a group of actions or information that will have an effect.

If you meet this assumption up front in your document you can use whichever word, but use it "consistently." It keeps the literal minded happy.

Scott
--
Scott Turner

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.