Re: Oops, forgot two queries...

Subject: Re: Oops, forgot two queries...
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- mail -dot- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:39:38 -0600

Can anyone provide summaries of these (I know this is basic):

1) What is the reason for using Robohelp (vs. other applications), can it be
used directly with XML, and how would you summarize its function?

Use Robohelp to make help files. Use other programs to make help files. It depends on which program you like. ForeHelp is pretty similar, and to many people, easier to use than Robohelp.

I would not like to use any program that did not allow me to use a structured format to create XML. Any editor that will not automatically apply the structure will cause additional work for you.

By structure I mean well-formed AND valid. The preferred method would be to use a program that produces SGML output. XML is a subset of SGML, and the files would first of all be structured according to the DTD that you want to use.

2) What is the reason for using Framemaker (vs. other app's such as Word),
what is a frame, how could it be used together with Robohelp, and how would
you summarize its function?

You are bound to get different views on this one. I prefer FrameMaker because it is MUCH more capable than is Word.

I would use FrameMaker and ForeHelp. Robohelp is NOT capable of using FrameMaker MIF (Maker Interchange Files) and ForeHelp is.

FrameMaker handles large files, makes books from multiple files, cross-references internally and to external files, makes templates, paragraph and character tags that put Word to shame. Handles tables better than Word. In fact you can create table formats in FrameMaker so you don't have to reinvent them every time you need a standard table. It is much more stable than Word. It produces Acrobat PDF files better than Word.

FrameMaker is a document processor. Word is a letter writer, always has been, always will be. It is not designed to do large, complex documents, with lots of graphics and tables. FrameMaker is designed to do this.

Scott
--
Scott Turner

TECH*COMM 2000 Conference, Help Technology Conference, and more
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230