Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Subject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 19:57:41 -0500

bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:

> Perhaps in theory, but I've tried 2 or 3 voice recognition programs over the
> years and was always disappointed. In my opinion, the technology has a long
> way to go before it is reliable enough for tech comm use. It's also slower
> than I can type.
>
> Then there's the issue of disturbing your co-workers in the office (though I
> guess it could be a good excuse to wrangle for a private office or
> telecommuting).

I don't know what programs you have tried, nor do I know the conditions
under which you have used them, but I have found it to be highly
reliable. If you can type about as fast as you can talk, with 98%
accuracy, you don't need VR. If you have no form of RSI or concern about
getting it, you have no need for VR. If you have unrealistic
expectations about it, don't get it. I agree that it is not perfect, but
it does work quite well. It is good enough for medical transcriptions
and lawyers.
Having said that, a proper setup of either Dragon v. 4.0 Professional or
ViaVoice Millennium, with an adequate microphone and enough horsepower
in the machine can make you very productive. Note that I do not
recommend VoiceExpress for technical writing.
Realistic horsepower to make it function: (The requirements are higher
than what the publisher says.) Between 256 and 384 Mg memory; no less
than a PIII or Athelon 500, and a good sound card.
For technical writing, you have a vocabulary that is not always
indicative of everyday English. Train the program thoroughly and if
using Dragon NaturallySpeaking, run its vocabulary builder so that it
learns your words and the context in which you use them.

--
Peter

There are few situations in life that cannot be resolved
promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned,
by either suicide, a bag of gold,
or thrusting a despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.
Ernest Bramah (Kai Lung stories)

TECH*COMM 2000 Conference, Help Technology Conference, and more
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230