Re: Training doc vs. User Guides

Subject: Re: Training doc vs. User Guides
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 10:50:20 -0500

Hello,

I followed the posts on this thread with interest, as I have recently been discussing this issue with a colleague. (Apologies for not saving the original post; I am on digest and don't have the original.)

It seems that training materials will cover higher-concept material (such as the overall "big picture" view of a process or product) and may or may not contain some real examples. Training materials are modular in format, and any one module should be able to stand alone or be used with other modules in any combination. The trainee may be assumed to be working with a trainer, but training materials should
promote self-study as well.

User Guides, at least in my experience, will serve the user in a more long-term manner. These guides serve as the definitive information source, and they are always available to users as reference material. Theoretically, a user may sit down with a user guide and learn a product or process from start to finish, but generally these guides are intended to be ongoing references.

As Geoff (et al) pointed out, sometimes the functions of various documentation may overlap. But, for the most part, the user guide seems to be the "go to" source for the user/trainee beyond the initial introduction provided in the training materials.

Of course, we create these materials with the goal that the users will view them as valuable information resources. We have also faced the reality that some users find it easier to yell over the cube wall to ask a neighbor a question than to consult the user guide! And yet, we persevere...

(Glad to be returning to the TechWr-L community after a brief hiatus.)

Regards,

Laura MacLemale
Technical Writer
Paychex
Rochester, NY USA
lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this message represent those of the sender and not of Paychex.

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230