RE: training material and training sessions

Subject: RE: training material and training sessions
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:16:58 -0700

2) As a tech writer, is training a natural progression
> in such a way that I do have to accept and add
> training sessions to my duties (if my boss asks me
> to)
There are two questions here: is training a natural progression from tech
writing and do you have to accept writing training sessions to your duties.

No and Yes.

Training is akin to writing tutorials, but not the same. Writing tutorials
is a canned walk-through of a piece of software/hardware/whatever.
Sometimes training material takes that approach, but not usually. There is
a whole discipline of curriculum development (check journals and research at
any good research library) as there is with tech writing. Because both
disciplines deal heavily with communication of ideas, there is much overlap.
But what is interesting is the take on the same research. Curriculum
development often varies distinctly from Techwriting in its regard for
certain types of research as well as specific research. I found that taking
curriculum development courses helped me immensely with writing tutorials.
Likewise, I found my tech writing background gave me a real leg up on
writing curriculum. But it is not a natural progression. In money
poor-companies or companies that believe anyone can write training, the docs
department often ends up writing, editing, and maintaining training manuals.
Too bad.

BUT... if your boss tells you it is your job, then its your job. I would
look at it as a great challenge to learn new methodologies.

> 3) Are there Web sites that give hints for writing
> training materials?

I am sure there are web sites (although I don't currently write training
material and consequently haven't looked) and as I pointed out, there are
lots of education journals dedicated to curriculum development. Happy
reading.

walden miller
director of engineering services
vidiom systems