Re: 'Stereotype' thread - evolved

Subject: Re: 'Stereotype' thread - evolved
From: "Lorraine Butchart" <lbutchart -at- mybc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 12:34:41 -0800

Janet Hughes wrote:

>This is interesting. I started corresponding by email with my nephew
>when he was 11. He's now almost 15. His writing skills have vastly >improved
over this period of time.

I've had a similar experience with my 16-year-old stepson. He has fairly
severe learning disabilities, including dyslexia, and has always had
a lot of trouble both reading and writing. About 18 months ago, he started
communicating with his friends using ICQ messaging. Not only has he become
a lightning-fast typist, but his ability to use writing to express his
thoughts and his reading speed have both improved dramatically. I should
also mention that during this time, he has not been attending school
at all because of health (both physical and mental) problems. So, no,
his writing is not perfect, and yes, maybe he's learning some bad habits
in his language use. But he is *using* written language to communicate,
and what is more, enjoying it, which is a huge improvement over 18 months
ago. He's even started reading novels for fun, something we were afraid
he would never do.
--
Lorraine Butchart
lbutchart -at- mybc -dot- com - email