Apologies for "stupidity"

Subject: Apologies for "stupidity"
From: Jill Waite <jwaite -at- criticaldevices -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:37:36 -0600

Having re-read my post, I think I may have mislead my audience (how ironic,
given the thread!). I was being sarcastic when I used the term "terminal
stupidity" in my 1st paragraph but I neglected to give my readers any clue.

Point 1: The people who misread the ballot *weren't* stupid or incompetent
or inept or failures as human beings or anything else. On the contrary,
IMHO, the fault lies with the ballot, which was poorly designed. This is
the point of disagreement with Dan et al.

Point 2: The fact that there are many kinds of distinct learning styles has
been well-documented, and there is no inherent superiority of one kind over
another. I don't know which kind of learner would have had the advantage
regarding the ballot design but that doesn't mean that group(s) that didn't
"get it" are somehow less "smart" than the rest.

Point 3: I do *not* for one second believe that learning disabilities such
as dyxlexia equate with low intelligence. A person with dyslexia or some
other "brain function variation" may have had difficulty with the ballot,
but that doesn't imply they suffer from reduced IQ. In fact, didn't
Einstein have learning disabilities? I'm fairly certain he did not do well
academically in elementary school.

My sincere apologies for any implied/inadvertant insults resulting from my
feeble attempt at humor. Too many deadlines and not enough sleep, I
guess...

Jill Waite
Dallas

"And it isn't just people with poor eyesight or terminal stupidity."

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230