Re: ballot usability

Subject: Re: ballot usability
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:34:00 -0800 (PST)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com ("David Berg") writes:

>Does anyone know whether the presidential choices were the only ones on that
>ballot with choices on facing pages?
>
>My initial reaction is that yeah, I can see where that ballot would confuse
>some people. It was done with good intentions, but poor execution that
>resulted in a less usable layout. But, how may of those double-punched
>ballots occurred on other elections on the ballot, and what is the usual
>percentage of "bad" (double-punched, etc.) ballots in an election with this
>many issues? It's an excellent example of what can happen when you leave
>usability issues to an "amateur."

According to CNN:

Officials in Palm Beach announced 19,120 ballots in the presidential
race were tossed out before they were counted because more than one
candidate was picked. Only 3,783 voters made that mistake on the
U.S. Senate portion of the ballot.

According to the Palm Beach Post:

In Palm Beach County, 19,120 ballots -- 4.1 percent of the
total -- were disqualified Tuesday because voters marked more
than one presidential candidate. Only 1.7 percent of ballots
were rejected for that reason in Broward County and only 2.7
percent in Miami-Dade. Those counties listed presidential
candidates on a single page.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230