RE: Assuming too much responsibility

Subject: RE: Assuming too much responsibility
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 16:50:17 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy Jacobsen [mailto:rjacobse -at- GreatPlains -dot- com]

We can't assume someone else's responsibility, no matter how much we wish we
could. When we're creating the documentation or the UI for something, we do
have the responsibility to make it as clear, complete and correct as we
possibly can. But we cannot assume the user's responsibility to use our
product correctly. We can't be responsible if someone is too embarrassed or
whatever to admit they're having trouble and ask for help.

1. I used to have a sign on my desk saying that as a communicator, I was 100
per cent responsible for ensuring that my message was understood by the
intended recipient.

2. Several studies (see Schriver's _Dynamics in Document Design_) tell us
that users have a strong tendency to blame themselves, rather than the
product interface or the documentation.

Jim Shaeffer
jims -at- spsi -dot- com

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230