Re: Implementing a single source management system painlessly

Subject: Re: Implementing a single source management system painlessly
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 06:34:09 -0800 (PST)

--- jason -dot- davis -at- pc-doctor -dot- com wrote:
> Thank you to everyone who was thoughtfull enough to
> contribute their
> thoughts and feelings on this subject. I apologize
> if the following summary
> is too long. If this is the case, please let me know
> off list as this is my
> first posting experience.

> Bill Swallow points out the content oriented need
> for XML stating "I use
> XML for structure, not for asthetics. For that I use
> HTML and CSS. XML is
> strictly (in my case) used for content management
> and information type
> taging." He also suggest using FrameMaker+SGML and
> WebWorks Publisher
> Professional Edition as tools for implementing
> XML/SGML.

Let me respond to this a bit. XML is not a need - it's
just the technology that fits my need best. The app I
write Help for (Web publishing software for
newspapers) uses XML to tag the data uploaded by the
papers and thus display it using a set style. We
therefore thought it silly not to also use this
technology for our Help.

If the app was structured any other way, I might not
have decided to use XML at all. In fact, this is the
first time I ever really considered using it. You have
to size up your needs and do what makes sense, not do
what you think you should be doing based on what
others are saying. Hell, I've written Help from the
ground up without styles at times, because the clients
couldn't fathom using a template with Word. They
preferred to override Normal for formatting. To each
their own. But the point is, the solution worked.
Invest the time in analyzing the possibilities
thoroughly before choosing one to run with.

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
PowerAdz.com