RE: What's the good word?

Subject: RE: What's the good word?
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:32:09 -0500

It's probably my vagueness.
The marketing objection is not to "server" anything.
The objection is to "client", which pegs that product
line into a smaller perception hole than it currently
occupies and possibly limits future sales opportunities.
For example, our Registration Authority product is in
that line, even though it's not really a desktop user
system. It just happens to use a hardware platform that
isn't geared toward high-volume transaction performance
and super-security.

I ah... um... hesitate to suggest a "heavy-duty" versus
"wimpy" distinction... :-) The product may not be in
our ultimate-security space, but it's orders of magnitude
beyond smart-cards and such. Hmmm.

Maybe I need to look into other languages. Maybe I'd
better limit myself to languages that use the roman
alphabet. Double-hmmm. ( I can see it now: "Boss,
I need to order the Arabic version of FrameMaker. I
need it so I can write about our new product line." )
((That was a Frame in-joke.))

I suppose part of the problem is that the industry
itself has not yet come out with terminology to
concisely differentiate the two market "spaces" we
are addressing. Or I haven't been reading the
right trade rags. It's such a bitch being a market
leader, isn't it? :-)

/kevin

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230