Re: Describing menu paths

Subject: Re: Describing menu paths
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:43:43 -0800 (PST)

People are pretty flexible...pick a way and be consistant. Doesn't
matter much what you use. Besides...this has been hashed out over
and over on this list. Check the archives.

However, while I'm here...as long as they are in the same GUI element
group:

File -> Import -> XX

If they are different elements throught an interface, I use English:

On the XXX Bar, from the YYY shortcut group, click the ZZZ shortcut

> This jumps off my earlier question about GUI element names.
>
> How do you describe a menu command in your docs?
>
> We used to do the ">" shortcut method: Format>Style>Heading 1
>
> Now we describe the menu in English: From the Format menu, choose
> Style, then Heading 1

=====
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer, in process of looking
for next contract effective 1/1/2001.
"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master."
-Abraham Lincoln

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230