Canadian Ballots (was RE: Florida ballot)

Subject: Canadian Ballots (was RE: Florida ballot)
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:27:55 -0700

Up here, I think it depends on the level of government.

Last one I voted in was to select a party candidate, and the ballot
was paper and pencil. I think last federal and provincial elections
were paper and pencil. Last municipal was a punch card.

None of the ballots had any of the issues raised about the Florida
ballot. The names were all down one side, with a place to mark the
ballot on the right. The names of the candidates were reasonably
large (though party affiliation might have been a touch on the small
side).

If memory serves me right, one of the characteristics of our Canadian
ballots is that candidates are listed alphabetically by last name,
rather than by party. This raised an issue in listing of the
candidates on the ballot in our current federal election, where in one
Alberta riding two parties are running candidates named John Williams.
Elections Canada has chosen the order by drawing the names from a hat.

Subject: RE: Florida ballot
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:08:47 -0500

[snip]