RE: Newbies

Subject: RE: Newbies
From: "Thomas Quine" <quinet -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 18:06:48 -0800

I've hired a couple of dozen writers in my past, and I can say without a
moment's hesitation that I've had my best success hiring writers with no
experience. Find a bright bulb who's a good writer, who has a real love of
the language, and with proper management they are up and running in no time.
Some of the best writers I've worked with are recent graduates from fields
other than writing.
All technology is just tools you can learn if you're bright enough. I
wouldn't dream of trying to teach a poor writer to write well - that's a
20-year project.
I have three pre-requisites for hiring - are they bright? Can they write?
Would they make a good team player? These are qualities it's very hard to
teach. They'd better bring that with them!
Second point is that a team is a team, you need people who can play various
positions, you need experienced leaders to balance the rookies. But the last
thing I want on a team is a couple of crotchety, cranky old-timers who've
learned a host of bad habits over the years, who are rigid and territorial
of their skills, and who won't take direction.
Give me a newbie any day!
- Thom

Subject: Newbies

Folks,

With regard to a recent thread, I find it difficult to believe that anyone
would hire someone with no experience.

Horace

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230