Re: Newbies

Subject: Re: Newbies
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:11:15 -0800

Bill Swallow wrote:

> Only hire a newbie if you can afford to. Newbies are
> expensive - perhaps just as expensive as veteran
> writers. Why? They need training, coaching, and
> guidance. But, a newbie *should* graduate from true
> newbiedom within a few months.

I'm not sure that a newbie takes that much more time to get up and
running than an experienced writer. With any new job,there's a
period of adjustment. Some times,getting people to unlearn takes
longer than getting them to learn.

This generality is especially true of people who have some
experience, but not enough to realize that there can be several
equally useful ways of doing things. They are so pleased to have
some competence that they can have a very narrow view of the world.
They're rather like people with a smattering of grammar, who insist
on rigid usage rules.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Rugen: Are you still trying to win?
Inigo: Hello. My name is Inigo de Montoya. You killed my father.
Prepare to die."
-William Goldman, screenplay for "The Princess Bride"

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230