RE: PDF vs. MS Word files vs. Printer!

Subject: RE: PDF vs. MS Word files vs. Printer!
From: Lynn Perry <LynnP -at- networkcommerce -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:36:12 -0800

Sharyn Mathews writes:
<snip>
I have several files which _were_ printing
just fine, until I installed Adobe Acrobat. Now the templates & options
dialog lists PDFmaker in the list of installed elements, _and_ I can't
print the two documents!! Not only can't I print, but the printer doesn't
do the same thing twice. Sometimes it prints page 2 perfectly (but page 6
is a mess), sometimes it prints, but has a line of machine code (or garbled
text) running through the figure on the page, sometimes it turns all type
to a squashed sort of Courier face,
<snip>
and the printer driver--all to no
avail. Anyone have any experience with this? Or any ideas? HELP!
</snip>

This happened where I used to work, but it was with Word 97 and Adobe
Acrobat 3. There were some PDFs I simply could not print from my computer,
and from other computers, they would print fine.

My suspicion at the time was that there were somehow network privileges that
got set for certain printer drivers, and that when a different source
printed the PDF (a different source would also include a new printer driver,
which would have been installed either with Acrobat 4 or Word 2000), the
dang thing just would not print. And nothing I did un-associated that other
printer driver from the PDF. I suspected that there was some secret thing
that Acrobat did to associate the Word files with the PDF, but
unfortunately, we could never figure it out.

One of the things that happened, to was that the computer upon which the PDF
printed was from a different domain within our network. Which made us think
it was something to do with Windows NT privileges. Unfortunately, again, we
could not fix this problem, and it really threw a wrench into the works.

I wonder, have you tried printing from a different computer with the same
setup? Have you tried distilling the doc outside of Word (that is, using
Distiller directly) and seeing if that prints?

I know this doesn't help much, but I wanted to know you weren't alone, and
that the problem was extremely frustrating, though unfortunately, not
solvable in our case.

Hope it helps for you, though.

C. Lynn Perry --- Senior Technical Writer lynnp -at- networkcommerce -dot- com
Great companies deserve great documentation www.networkcommerce.com
Network Commerce Inc. (NASDAQ: NWKC) 206.652.3139
411 First Avenue South, Suite 200N Seattle, WA 98104

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230