RE: tech writer bookshelf

Subject: RE: tech writer bookshelf
From: "Haas, Guy" <ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:01:19 -0800

Michele Davis [mailto:michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com] recommended

> Any Nutshell books if you're going to learn Java, UNIX, stuff like that.
> O'Reilly makes very good books.

O'Reilly does make very good books, but Nutshell books are not
good for learning from -- they are best for consulting after you
are acquainted with the topic. They are reference books, not
user guides. They tell you _what_ and _how_, but little about
_when_ or _why_.

Also, the original question was:

> I'm looking to beef up my bookshelf as far as books
> about general tech writing.

Michele's recommendations are less about the writing than about
the technology.

I'd recommend a large, current unabridged dictionary (I use
American Heritage, 3rd Edition), and a copy of the Chicago Manual
of Style, just for basic reference.

Any of Edward Tufte's books:
Envisioning Information ISBN: 0961392118
The Visual Display of Quantitative Information ISBN: 096139210X
Visual Explanations : Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narrative
ISBN: 0961392126
--Guy K. Haas gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net
Software Exegete in Silicon Valley

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230