Re: New Tech Writer

Subject: Re: New Tech Writer
From: iluvvscotties -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:20:37 -0500

Kim Washington <thekutestkim -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> I'm new to the Tech Writing field. Does anyone have
> any advice as far as how to get the experience one
> needs. I've called many non-profit organizations
>about possibly volunteering, but none in my area
>seem to have any opportunities for writers.

What you want is a way to demonstrate your skills. Have you considered approaching local churches and temples to ask if you could do anything (gratis)? Perhaps you could offer to provide an online and printed module showing how to use the computer for the basic applications they require.

If you can't find anyone locally, you might be able to find an online shareware/freeware author who would be thrilled to let you provide a help module for his system.