RE: ADMIN: FYI

Subject: RE: ADMIN: FYI
From: Mark Levinson <MarkL -at- gilian -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:01:40 +0200

Peter writes:
> Also, we all see a lot of venting here, something they
> would never do otherwise. All of us need to vent.

We all need to vent, but how many of us are there on the
list, two or three thousand? How many do you want to see
venting per day, five or ten max? I think that by any
reasonable estimate, one vent per list member per year
should be plenty. Maybe the Birthday Vent would be a
good institution... write everything down, save everything
up, and wait for the day...

Sarah Bane writes:
> A few weeks ago someone asked the list what "SME" stands for. I replied
> privately, as I'm sure others did. But I'm curious why some list members
> answered the question on the list.

I can think of two good reasons and some bad ones. One good
reason is that a question one writer raises is likely on the
minds of several other writers. Another good reason is that
by answering on the list, the respondent shows other list
members that they needn't bother to answer. (One bad reason
is that the respondent hasn't yet checked whether anyone
else has answered; another is that the respondent doesn't
realize that the answer goes to the whole list...)

And Bruce writes:
> For example, instead of telling someone that
> they're such a bald-faced liar that they must have just shaved,
> I ask if they're mistaken, and give them a chance to back down.
> Of course, this course is hard to maintain, but I try to keep
> reminding myself of the goal I have in mind.

It sure is hard. I recommend the "Winning Without Intimidation"
newsletter for occasional moral support. I believe that you can
subscribe by sending the message body

subscribe wwi you -at- your -dot- address

to Majordomo -at- talkbiz -dot- com .

- Mark L. Levinson - Gilian Technologies - markl -at- gilian -dot- com -
- tel +972-9-9560036 ext 215, fax +972-9-9565668 attn Mark L. -
- home: nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il, tel +972-9-9552411 or 9555720 -
-------------- * Only half of life is quantifiable * -------------

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230