Re: Improving the Quality of the List

Subject: Re: Improving the Quality of the List
From: "Peter Shea (USF)" <pshea2 -at- luna -dot- cas -dot- usf -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:17:56 -0500 (EST)

"Most of us recognize the utter futility of polling several thousand list
members for their opinion on some workplace-related or narrow editorial
issue that mainly requires the application of common sense by the person
who initiated the thread."

I admire the confidence you have, Dan, to feel comfortable speaking for
the majority of list members. I assume you conducted a poll as well? :)

"I've tried the essay approach 5 or 6 times since I joined the list
several months ago (most recently my post about FrameMaker text
insets). Interestingly enough, they have, in most cases, produced very few

The same list members you twice claim to speaking on the behalf of?

As one of those "decisionally-challenged" people who burdens you, I feel
the need to respond.

As a novice member of the technical communicators community, I have
greatly appreciated the willingness of the many people who are willing to
share their expertise and opinions on matters related to technical
writing, trivial or repetitive as these matters seem to you.

I understand that, as an experienced tech writer, many of these questions
related to software tools or technique make for posts that are not
intellectually gratifying. But I always assumed that there was room for
both basic tech questions and extended discourse. If a title line suggests
a post you don't like, well, God bless the delete key. :)

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230