RE: Are technical writers not eligible for a good pay packet?

Subject: RE: Are technical writers not eligible for a good pay packet?
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:37:45 -0500

quite simply. I usually just smile at them and say, well, considering I'm
expected to understand both the technical aspect of your product as well and
then translate it so that a non-user can use it, my salary is commensurate
with my ability to convey technical ideas to a disparate audience. Usually,
not in such a verbose way, but the point is, we're often as taxed as
programmers are to convey what the user wanted in the original
specifications to what has been delivered within the constraints of the
environment. I see my job as the final process before the software goes out
the door. If the programmer has done theirs, the software works, if I've
done mine, the software can be used efficiently. But, that's my .02.