RE: Is Word Formatting in End-User docs important? [was:Word Hel p (pr oblem solved)]

Subject: RE: Is Word Formatting in End-User docs important? [was:Word Hel p (pr oblem solved)]
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:32:05 -0500

Bruce Bryfield wrote:

>Dan Emory wrote:

> But Shaeffer's comment was about tools, not function. Of course,
> the function (the need for formatting) still exists,

I could be wrong, but it looked to me as if the orignal post was
conflating tools and functions, too.
---end quote----

Jim Shaeffer writes:
1. Bill Hall's original post, which I quoted from, did conflate tools and
function, but was clear enough that one who reads it should not be confused.
My quotes changed the emphasis.
2. The thread about Word formatting was discussing how potential employers
judged job applicants by seeing what techniques they had used to format
resumes prepared in MS Word.
3. If writers write blocks of text that are stored in a database to be
processed by tools not yet invented, then writers will have no familiarity
with any formatting tools. Further, if writers think about their output in
terms of the structure of information, and not the structure of documents,
they won't even understand the basics of document formatting.

Yeah, I'm stretching things, but how far?

Jim Shaeffer
jims -at- spsi -dot- com

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230